Sunday, February 8, 2009

For Dust You Are

The yellow crocuses 1 planted around the grave of the baby quail have bloomed in this warm spell. I'm sitting near them, in the back yard, reading in the sunshine. 2 plays her standard repertoire of 5-year-old games: restaurant, house, ballet, sporting event.

Then she slides half-way onto a chair beside me and grins.

2: I have a question for you. If you get it right, you'll get my very best trophy. Who made us: God... or Mother Nature?

Me: Is there really a right answer?

2: Yes! [expectant pause] If you think about what we are... you'll know ...

We speak at nearly the same moment.

Me: Mother Nature?
2: Mother Nature!

2: I thought about it and figured it out for myself. --I don't know if it's truth or not, but it's what I think.

I pretended I had to go blow my nose and ran into the house so I could scribble the conversation on a piece of scrap paper. For the record, I never speak about a "Mother Nature" figure; I'm not sure where she got it from, but she's been mulling over the different between the two characters for over a year now.

What was happening in her brain as she pondered this? What does she think God is that we are not?

No comments:

Post a Comment